Monday, July 7, 2014

Purpose

Purpose?

A can opener opens the can of black beans I plan to eat tonight. The calendar keeps track of dates, appointments, meetings, vacations, deadlines etc. The car gets me from here to there. The little tie of my loaf bread keeps the sack closed, so the bread stays fresh. All have a particular purpose. For the past couple of days, I have been praying the Lord would show me His purpose for my life. The prayers have gone something like "What is it that you want me to do? What is my purpose?" It could easily sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not. I want to be used by Him for His glory. I don't want to sit idlely when I could be fulfilling the very unique purpose for which He created me. 

My mind has raced with all sorts of ideas over the years as to how I can be used by God. "Well maybe if I do this.. or maybe if I do that.. or I could try to volunteer there." I think the problem is that I always assumed it'd be this grand-scale thing. Like major big! And what I mean by major big.. Well, I don't have the slightest clue! However, almost seven years ago I started seminary. (Seven. Years. I'm saying that over and over in my head and can barely believe it.) During my orientation time, I was surrounded my ten or so other young ladies who were pursuing an MA in Women's Studies, just like me. We had to go around the room and tell what we kind of hoped to do once we graduated. I remember saying two things. The more important of the two was: WRITE! Yep. That's exactly what I said. Nevermind the fact that the only thing I'd written were History papers and Education briefs up until that point, but writing was at the forefront of my mind. 

As I prayed this weekend for the Lord to show me His purpose for me.. Erin Gandy.. it became pretty clear. Writing. I have this blog as an avenue to teach others and share the gospel with readers from lots of little places. I can use this blog (mmm.. continue to use this blog) to write about passages from God's Word and what I am learning.. and to encourage others in their walk with Jesus. Four years after graduation and seven years after not having a clue what I was going to do at Southeastern other than plug away, here I am. - Writing this blog... posting for other blogs.. and writing Sunday School curriculum for preschoolers. He is good to show me a glimpse of the plans He has for me, and I am thankful that He has allowed me, Erin, to be a writer.. 

Can opener. Calendar. Car. Bread tie. Me. 

"Let your light shine before others... that they may glorify your Father in Heaven." Matthew 5:16

And on an additional note about the blog, something new is just around the bend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment