Tuesday, May 6, 2014

James: Week 2

I think I might just revisit James for a little while. Maybe it will stick around.  Without further ado...


If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to
all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks,
he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the 
sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will 
receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man and unstable
in all he does.  James 1: 5-8

I have a problem. Or maybe had a problem. By God's grace, the aforementioned or alluded to problem is making progress in the right direction. Things are changing.  Here's the problem. I used (and sometimes still am) to very much so be the person who asked everyone and their mother's opinion. Literally. Mothers were involved too. It could be big decisions or small decisions, but I needed an opinion. I couldn't validate a decision unless I had a solid ten or so opinions. Off I went, asking this friend or that friend. Her mother and my own mama. The lady up the street. You point a person out within my circle(s), and I probably asked their opinion on a matter.

The other, and more dangerous, end of the spectrum is seeking wisdom from the world - social media, celebrities, immediate gratification. This dangerous end takes our God out of the picture all together. It holds a situation up against the lines of the world, which are forever faulty and failing. There is no peace in wisdom that comes from the world.

The verses above serve as a timely reminder as to who we are to be seeking our wisdom from. It does not say to avoid godly counsel from indviduals around us, but it does say - ask God. I would be so caught up in asking everyone else and validating my own opinion through theirs, that I would rarely ask God first. Isn't He the one who determines our steps? (Proverbs 16:9) Isn't He the one who makes plans for our lives? (Jeremiah 29:11) Isn't He the one who has assigned our portion? (Psalm 16:5)  Because I seem to quote her all the time, Elisabeth Elliot mentioned in "Passion and Purity" about keeping a matter silent until one has fully discussed it over with God. This is the paraphrased version but so much truth! I have been guilty of mulling over and discussing a situation with others before discussing it with God.  There is no need to discuss with anyone until the matter has been presented to the Lord and His direction sought after. He is the one who knows all and is in control of all. If we believe these things to be true, then we/I should trust Him. The end. Nothing else up for debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment