Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Because the writer of Hebrews said so

Life lately.  That might very well be the title of a post tomorrow, but it certainly describes what needs to be said today or remembered tomorrow.  I feel like God has just been showing me so much lately, yet I have failed to blog about it. - Not that everything needs to be poured out in my own personal walk, but I think on some level there is something to be said of encouragement and spurring one another onward.  The writer of Hebrews said it .. now who that writer is, that's one up for debate.  And so onward we go in a completely random fashion.

God is continuously drawing me to himself.  I know that sounds over seminary-like, and it may very well be.  However, if we pray to be drawn to him, He will do nothing short of completely answering.  What does it very well mean for Him to draw us to himself?  That's one to think on  just a moment.  It is when we are drawn closer to him and can fix our eyes on nothing but him.  I was singing that old him this morning "And the things of earth will grow strangely dim..."  When we are moving towards him, the rest of life just falls off.  Not in an ignoring life kind of way, but it does not pale in comparison to His goals. His plans. His desires. For us.  What I do and where I go and what I look like and who I'm with doesn't matter at all, unless I'm doing all of those with my eternal purpose in mind.  We can say oh yeah, I know the Great Commission.  We can rattle it off with the best of them and in record time.  But are we/I living that out?  We/I can get so easily distracted with the multiple statuses that one must achieve according to society - marriage, kids, good job, making enough money, dressing the part.  We can compare ourselves and joy slips through our fingers.  When the Lord draws us back to himself, he brings us to our knees into submission to His authority.  Pride is stripped, and I am humbled by His love for me and His greatness and His greater plans for me.  I fight. Oh boy, do I fight.  But our authority is to be the Scripture/Word of God.. the very words He has given us. Not tradition or culture or relationships or friends or feelings or emotion.  Drawing back to Himself means we come under the submission of the Holy God.. who gave us all when we deserved nothing.  Drawing back to Himself is bringing us to a place of weakness where we can not look to ourselves but only to Him for the strength needed.  Drawing back to himself means recognizing that the world is nothing in comparison to eternity.  Drawing back to himself is instilling us with our eternal purpose to love God and glorify Him.

On another note, I have been reading through the Gospels.  I am grateful and amazed at how you can read the same Bible stories over and over and discover something new.  At the same time, I am writing Sunday School lessons in the Prophets.  Reading the Gospels this time in conjunction with reading the Prophets for work has just overwhelmed me in the sense of the long awaited and promised Messiah has come!  The prophets continuously warned up a coming king and his rescue, yet the Israelites did not show too much concern in the day.  Fast forward to the angels appearing to both Zechariah and Mary.  How on earth must they have felt when the news came that the Messiah would soon be born?  Didn't they just want to tell everyone?  All of the waiting was finally over!

And a final note,
"In the same way the chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked him among themselves. 'He saved others,' they said, 'but he can't save himself! Let this Christ, this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe.'  Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him."  Mark 15:31-2
It was the very act of being on the cross that would save us all.

Has God been teaching you something new and exciting?


No comments:

Post a Comment