Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Most Important Walk


To walk with God is to walk by faith, to trust and obey one day at
a time, recognizing our never-ending need for grace.
 Elisabeth Elliot

The Christian walk is a beautiful walk.  It's like the nicest day of the year with crisp autumn air and the breeze blowing a few orange and red leaves around.  It's a beautiful walk, but we don't always make it the easiest.  I realize this often and then again this past weekend.  I am such a perfectionist and legalist, and I want to get the award for doing everything just right.  When I fail or my faith falters or a sin struggle rises up again, I get so incredibly out of sorts that it is just absolutely ridiculous.  I feel like I have shamed God and that I have embarrassed myself - not living up to His expectations for me or worthy of the blood that was shed.  Thankfully, His grace is greater.  Why has grace been such a hard concept for me to grasp?  God has gently reminded me over the past several days of how insufficient I am apart from Him.  My walk is not going to look perfect unless I allow Jesus to be by my side to walk with me.  Jesus leads me into the light and guides me along the path that God has chosen for me.  Am I going to struggle again? Yes.  Am I going to get it wrong again? Yes. More than a few.  Am I going to feel like I am not worthy? Probably.  But what is greater is that I must remind myself that God is conforming me into the image of His Son.  Each struggle or battle or falter can be turned back to Him.  In reading one of Elisabeth Elliot's old newsletters, I was reminded of this very point.  The walk of faith and trust is a day to day response... and a day to day reliance on His grace.  I'm not perfect, but His grace is available to take care of that.  

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you. 
For my power is made perfect in weakness."
1 Corinthians 12:9

SC Baby Shower - High School friends

No comments:

Post a Comment