Thursday, August 29, 2013

Afternoon Tea

Afternoon tea time.  I've never attended an afternoon tea, but it doesn't take the brightest jewel on the necklace to know that there's a little bit of tea and a whole lot of chatting going on at one of those deals.  I'm good for the chatting part.. real good.  So, grab that sweet tea, and let's talk, shall we?

College football starts today.  You must be under a rock if you haven't heard that one.  But me, well it's hard to understand football.  I'm trying and will make a concerted effort this season to get into it.  Baseball? Yes.  College basketball? Oh yeah.  Hockey? Sure.. Football. It's like the blind leading the blind for me.  A guy friend told me that if I wanted to understand/love my husband well one day then I'd learn a little about football.  I'm trying fellas.. I'm trying!

I've been reading through the Minor Prophets lately.  I could just stay there.  The Minors are always the easiest to skip, but there's so much packed into those little books.  I am able to gain a better understanding of God's grace to His people!  Here's a favorite from Habbakuk:
Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights.
3: 17-19
In the midst of a hopeless situation, there is hope.  Looking all around the situation for Habbakuk seemed to be wasting away; yet, he could stand firm on the promise of God to bring a ruler greater than the corrupt kings ruling in Israel at the time - King Jesus. "Our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness."

I think everybody from the East to the West coast has addressed Miley Cyrus's little whoopsie on MTV's VMAs.  Being the no-cable kinda girl that I am, I had to YouTube it the next day.  Even the blurriness that is on a YouTube video was too much for me.  I was disgusted on multiple levels.  My heart breaks for a girl who can get up on stage and perform in such a manner.  It shows little respect for herself and those around her.  This is the product of a girl who has had life become too easy for her.  She has heard 'yes' more times than 'no' in her life.  She has apparently lacked a model in her own life as to what it means to be a lady.  She has lacked the loving discipline of a father.  And I would venture to say she has not received the due respect that a girlfriend should receive from a boyfriend.  She is completely lost and looking for affirmation from news and social media outlets.  She is prodigal in need of her Savior.

Commitment.  Why does our generation have such a difficult time with commitment?  On some levels, I have my own issues.  I think mostly it's an ideal that we perceive in our minds before approaching any given circumstance.  When the given circumstance doesn't meet our ideal, then there is no commitment.  It's a difficult place to be in because I dislike our generation for the lack of commitment.  It frustrates me, and I'm living right in the middle of this age group.  That is all I've got.

Ben Rector has done it again folks.. and beautifully.  On my way back to NC this weekend, I listened to "Sailboat", "Follow You", and "If You Can Hear Me" only one behind the other because that's how songs go.  I realized in the middle of song 2 that tears were streaming down my face.  My heart was heavy on that drive back, and those songs just moved my heart to lay it before the Lord.. all of it.

That was a lot of chatting, and now I need some tea.





1 comment:

  1. I hate football and I'm tired of people saying I need to like it in order to "get a man". I don't want a man that bases his decision of me on a sport. I lurve basketball and other sports. That should be good enough. :)

    ReplyDelete