Friday, July 6, 2012

Skeeter Phelan of the 21st Century

Now I'm not an expert on much. I'd like to think that I am an expert on something, but I'm not really sure that I can think of anything. Therefore, I will freely admit that I am not an expert on dating or flirting or any of the sorts. I just don't know how to flirt. Period. And I am most certainly NOT an expert on boys. Now that we've got that all out there, I have to tell you my new opinion on a new area of the social world that I am just not ready for.

I think the lovely ladies in my life [myself included] have wondered about ... you guessed it - Online dating. I think if you haven't thought about it, then your mama for certainly has mentioned it.  It always goes something like this:
You: I just wish I had a date tonight -or- They're just aren't any guys to date.
The Mama: What about one of those dating sites? It'll definitely have guys on there outside your circle.
You: Ughhhh. We are not talking about this right now.

To be honest, I don't think online dating is a bad thing. Let me put that one out there first. I think it has definitely become another part of the social networking that is acceptable in our world today.  It is for the person who has a schedule that doesn't allow much or any time to meet people their own age.  It does expand the social circles. I agree with that. Well, I am just going to go ahead and admit something. I like to be honest. I decided to browse one of the sites yesterday. Just browse. There was no signing up, at least not intended. There was no commitment. There was no answering of questions, nor money exchanged. But just browsing. And so, browse I did.

Don't you know that when they advertise free browsing, you actually end of creating a profile without ever intending to do so! Yeah, I didn't know that. And I didn't appreciate the "Registration Successeful" that flashed across the screen after they asked zip code, name, email address, gender, etc. When a word isn't spelled correctly on the site, it is NOT a good sign. Anyways, as I was looking at different profiles [because I wasn't going to go through all that for nothing], I had a mild mild mild mild panic attack. To even say it was a panic attack is an overstatement. It was more like a freak out. I kinda got sick feeling and overwhelmed and there mayyyyyyy have been a tear.  But what it boils down to is this, right now at least this particular site is not for me. At this time in my life, it is not for me.  It's just not a boat I'm ready to jump on. That could change. In the moment of browsing, I kept thinking to myself - "This is not how I want to meet my husband." This is also not to say that it won't work for you or someone you know. And I won't look down on that. BUT I strongly desire for the Lord to bring him, whoever he is [maybe he is reading this blog because I certainly don't know who does that]into my life face to face. I stink at trying to get to know somewhere through an email, text, message.. whatever. So that is that. That is where I stand at this moment in time.

And so the conversation of the morning:
Me: I'm done with boys. But not done done so to mean that I would be moving on to girls.. Just done for now. Not trying to like any particular boy. So don't worry, I'm not trying to tell you that I like girls.
My Mama: Oh!

I felt like Skeeter Phelan from "The Help".. haha. And so I laughed to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment