Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 4th Grab Bag

I like holidays. I like holidays ALOT! I mean.. I'm that person who gets on Pinterest and wants to make every holiday themed dessert there is. I want to dress cutely in the appropriate colors of the particular holiday. I want to have a party for every occasion. I just get pumped!

July 4th is no different :) I love fireworks and a cookout! There's nothing wrong with a grilled hot dog and some potato chips.. ooo.. or even potato salad. I plan to wear some red, white, and blue too! I like being patriotic; I attribute that to my History side in me and the degree on the wall.

Here is just a complete RANDOM list of July 4th stuff. I like random, and I hope you do too!

10) FUN Fact: Americans spend $111 million on charcoal and popsicles for July 4th Weekend!

9) The Peachtree Road Race- Atlanta, GA. It's a 10K. I have had a short term relationship with this race twice. It. Was. Awesome. If you are the running kind, you should try it. Otherwise, this is also a spectator event. People line up along Peachtree Road JUST to be a cheerleader.
This is how insane it is.. usually 66,000 runners.

8) July 4th around here in Raleigh has kinda been like the State Fair situation for the past 5 years. Three years ago is marked the worst! On the way to the beach to see a friend, I got super sick .. ugh.. Texas Steakhouse.. ugh. AND we got lost. It took us 5 hrs. to get to Morehead City. Serioulsly!?! Still not sure how that one happened!

Independence Day Cake7) I don't even like strawberries and blueberries, BUT I have always wanted to make one of these cakes :)  They just scream Happy 4th!

6) But if you aren't that crafty in the kitchen and need a quick dessert for your cookout, try this! What you need: any brand of chocolate chip cookies, a little bowl of milk, Cool Whip, and a Pyrex dish. Dip cookies in the milk to soften. Layer in bottom of dish. Next add a layer of Cool Whip. Continue to layer until at the top of the dish. Cool Whip should be at top. This is one of my favorites.. It is sooo yummy!

5) "Saturday in the park... you would've thought it was the 4th of July!" - This song always takes me back to running into Lenox Square Park at the end of the Peachtree Road Race. It's a Chicago song!

4) This was something I didn't even know:  The 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence did not sign at the same time, nor did they sign on July 4, 1776. The official event occurred on August 2, 1776, when 50 men signed it.

3) Last year, NYC's firework display included 22 tons of fireworks!! I saw fireworks at the Durham Bulls game and Braves Game... I kinda thought the Bulls had a better show :) I'm like a kid .. I look at fireworks with my mouth wide open hahaa.

2) Remember today that though our nation was founded on freedom and Christian principles. Be thankful for those who fought and continue to fight for our freedom!

1) My Goals for the Day: ENJOY! I want to runnnnnn. I want to watch Kathie Lee and Hoda. Eat a hot dog. See some fireworks... and maybe watch a baseball game. What is more All-American than that!

HOPE YOU HAVE A HAPPY 4th OF JULY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment