Thursday, June 14, 2012

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Friends.. Maybe your mind automatically tunes to Rembrandt's song "I'll be there for you" made popular by FRIENDS.. or maybe you sing "Friends Forever" in your head. Don't know that one? It was Zack Attack's One Hit Wonder :) Haha I thought you might like that!

What are friends? Friends are the ones who you can go to Ross with and end up buying the same pair of shoes or try on dresses for more time than necessary. Friends are the ones who will dance their hearts in a music video just so that you [and they] can hopefully acquire 15 minutes of fame. Friends are the ones who surprise you with a dress or a concert ticket or know exactly where it is you love to eat - even if you get a steak quesadilla and beans every time. They are the ones who are down for anything and will even track down the Rivercourt. They are the ones who will tell you the truth even though it probably will hurt. 
I am thankful the Lord has blessed me with wonderful friendships at all seasons of my life.  I have been able to maintain friendships from both high school and college and for the most part, we pick back up right where we left off. Moving to NC, I didn't have a friend in the world. I knew my roommate at the moment, but that was only because we had similiar jobs in SC and met through that connection. Every weekend for the first month and a half at seminary, I would travel home - because I didn't have any friends here in Raleigh.  Sad story, I know. But that prayer was soon answered...

I stumbled across 4 lovely ladies; we made a grand total of 5. We called ourselves the Fab 5, annoying... we know. The five of us couldn't have been more different than occupants on a New York City subway. It's kind of like a boy band, but girls. There's the artsy one, and the serious one, and the quiet one, the Southern one [myself], and well, let's be honest..Lauren, I can't figure out what boy band person you are.  Greater than our personalities, the bond that brought us together and keeps that bond strong no matter where we are or what season of life we are in is our love for Christ and being sisters through faith in Him.

We all were new to Raleigh at the same time, so we managed to put on our big girl panties together and conquer the city.  -- State Fairs, random nights in Raleigh, dance parties, road trips, theme parties, weddings, birth of Johanna Grace, the big move to Denver, trips in mini-vans, that one night at Chili's... Yes, this list could go on.  But the Lord knew the friendships that would be formed in 2007 when we made our way to Raleigh.  I am thankful that at whatever time I need one or two or all of you, you have been there. You ladies are strong, and I admire that. It makes me want to be stronger. You inspire me and encourage me in my walk with the Lord. What I have realized over the past few days is that you are sisters. Sisters that I will argue or fuss or get mad, but we will still be friends in the end. Thank you.

"Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, [Amanda,Lindsay, Lauren,and Jen], have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people." Philemon 7

PS - I am truly thankful for the other lovely women the Lord has blessed me with as well. These were the first four. And He continued to answer my prayer by adding to that number!

No comments:

Post a Comment