Wednesday, March 28, 2012

90's Child

Last night "Three's Company" was on TV, and I made the comment to Amanda about how I wish I was a child of the 70's. I think I've always wanted to experience life in other decades to see what it was like. Would I still be the simple Southern girl? or would I have been a protestor, flapper, hippie? Probably none of these, because at the base level of who I am is my Christian faith. Those were more of the rebels. I would probably be their friends :) But.. I am a child of the 90's through and through. So, without further ado.. these are the things that have shaped me.

- Columbine - I think we can all agree the terror that came over us when we learned of the Columbine shooting. This is an event that shaped us the moment we heard. I was in the 9th grade and remember the teachers locking their doors each time we entered class. It was a preventative/ precautionary measure. I think the reality of that moment was that we were no longer safe in our school. The perfect little world where we went to school for 6 - 7 hours of the day with a nicely packed lunch and clubs was no longer perfect.

- Sept. 11th - September 11, 2001 is our generation's Pearl Harbor. We will be able to remember where we were when we heard the news. We will most likely remember what we were wearing or what else we did that day. We will certainly remember how we found out.  Our school did not let us watch on TV until the 2nd plane hit. We were informed of the first tower being hit; however, in my naivety I thought it was pure accident. That is/was my innocence. As a young student, the reality of our safe world at large crumbled. I feared going into my house by myself. I feared an explosion of the nuclear power plant 30 miles away. Since that day, there has been greater uncertainty to what the next day/week/year holds.

- Television of the 90's rocked my world and still does! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to talk about my favorite shows.  - Full House, Home Improvement, Clarissa Explains It All, 90210, Family Matter, Salute your Shorts, Alex Mack.. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could keep this list going for a while. But even with that small of a list, you probably have a smile on your face. TV Shows were much better then. It wasn't racy [except for maybe 90210 for the times]. It didn't show kids talking back to their parents. It usually solved the world's problems in 30 minutes or less and that's what I liked!

- Simple. Life was simple. That is all. There were no cell phones, Ipads, Iphones, Itouch, etc. There was the rare chance for a nintendo, Super, and gameboy. But we still had fun. I played outside, went to the pool, and boy, did me and make believe land ALWAYS have a party rolling.

I am thankful to be a child of the 90's.  Each aspect has shaped me in some way. It makes me want to return to the previous way of life and slow down a bit. But most importantly, it makes me want to put on a pair of stir-up pants, Sam & Libby's, and an over-sized shirt and jam out to Hootie and the Blowfish :)

This is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment