Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Whistler

I will freely admit that I don't know much about how to talk to boys.  You may argue my point.  I can see that.  My interest/love for sports and the benefit of having a brother around for years has allowed me to engage in conversations with boys and carry on a semi-decent continuous conversations that are not one-sided.  But any form of flirting, well... you might as well hang that one up.  Though I may not be able to properly communicate interest on my side, I sometimes wonder about the behaviors guys use to convey their interest.  Said behaviors include but are certainly not limited to: a whistle, a "hey you", a "hey girl".. etc and so on.  Now granted there are certainly types of guys who would not do these things.. But it makes me wonder, why ANY guy would think a whistle is an appropriate way to "holla", if you will, at a girl.  My only thought is that they must've gotten some sort of response from the behavior previously. 

But there needs to be a corrective nature about the whole deal.  And for that resolution I think it would go down a little something like this.

The following example is an event that actually happened to me today.  Now, I will tell what I actually did in response... and what I should have done.

See what had happened was: I went to go for a walk on this lovely Fall afternoon in Raleigh, NC.  I was looking at the apartments to my left when I hear a faint but certain whistle from the right.  I turned to look to see what was going on.  And to my surprise, there were indeed 4 young fellas moving a friend of theirs and loading the truck.  This is where the whistle came from. 
What I did: Cold, Blank hard stare back and kept walking.
What I should have done:
              Me - "Ohhhhh my gooosssshh! You think I'm cute? Like do you want to take me on a
                         date [as I walk over and twirl my hair].  I'd for sure love to go since you think
                         I'm cute and all.... Oh my gossshhh!"
              Them - Cold, hard stare back.
              [They are in complete shock and don't know what to do because I've officially called
                them out on their unsolicited and inappropriate way to catch a girl's eye.]

The end. And so the Whistler just stops and just goes up to the girl and trys to start a genuine conversation.. Maybe?

But I will say, on those rare days that this does happen-  one is usually disgusted at the whistle and clearly doesn't respond, BUT deep down there is some sort of notion that "I've still got it!"

This is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment