Monday, February 21, 2011

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!

In the spirit of the Daytona 500...

Most of you know of my love for NASCAR.  I am from Darlington, and we have a track but that doesn't mean that I always liked the sport.  My mama and I would always go out of town shopping for the day while every else came into the little city for the weekend.  BUT all of that changed when I went to my first race in 2004 with Becca.  We watched the last running of the Mountain Dew Southern 500 from the pits.  I was able to meet a lot of drivers and jumped pit wall to get a picture with Kasey Kahne, but that is another story for another hour.. a good story at that.

Well, maybe just for entertainment sake I will tell the story. Mind you the rule is that no one besides official race teams are to be in the vicinity of even the pits.  But Becca and I marched our little happy selves right on up to the wall hoping to get something signed .. I dont know what happened really.  So bravely, I asked this fireman if I could quickly get a picture of Kasey Kahne.  I stayed along the wall and took the picture, but in the process I turned back to Becca and the fireman to say, "No I wanted one of me and him!" To my shock/surprise/astonishment, this crew member grabbed my shoulders, I am whirled around, and then land right in front of Kasey Kahne who is just smiling with those blue eyes that could make you forget your religion.  But anyways, he starts to prop up next to his car while I'm standing there holding this $3 disposable camera [haha bless] and I looked at him and just shook my head. This is what I do remember:
Erin: I wanted one of you and me. [Me pointing at this point b/c I say everything with my hands.]
Kasey Kahne: Well, who are we going to get to take it?
Mystery crew member: I will.
{Smile}
And I just walk back to Becca in a daze.
TRUE STORY.
Sprint Cup Series driver Trevor Bayne celebrates in victory lane after winning the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Daytona 500 race at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida February 20, 2011. REUTERS/Brian Blanco

Now for why I really wanted to write this blog. Yesterday, 20-yr.old Trevor Bayne won the 500.  What I like most is that, he hasn't for one bit shyed away from his faith in Christ. NASCAR starts every race with a public prayer that is aired nationally on TV and no one contests it.  I am thankful for a sport that acknowledges Jesus as the ONLY way and for drivers who stand strong in their faith and aim to share that with others.
Check out this article :
http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/features/11/10/inside-nascar-prayer-dreutimann-tbayne-mmcdowell-jmcmurray/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment