Thursday, January 14, 2016

How Deep the Father's Love

The train of thought here is slightly ridiculous, so hold on. Tuesday night I was sending Vox messages back and forth with Brittany. We were in absolute tears on either side of our phones over how sweet God's love is for each of us. I don't believe it has been a matter of coercing on our parts - just a presenting our requests to God and trusting His direction. She was on the way into small group as we were tearing up --- due to what we were talking about and God's faithfulness and her going into small group, it led me to this:

I remember going to a small group study one Tuesday night. It was our regular time for accountability. All of the girls in my group were familiar friends except for one. We each had become close to the point we felt we could divulge our hearts, our thoughts, our prayers and pleas. When it was my turn, I simply said something along the lines of "Y'all I want to understand and accept God's love for me." This was what I had been praying for; I simply wanted to share it with a group of others I knew would do the same. Except for the one I didn't know. She proclaimed very quickly "How is your relationship with your dad? Usually the two are associated."

I left that night hurt and confused. I didn't know why this person presumed of knowing my relationship with my dad. Yes, it's true - I knew there could be a connection in the general scope, but I didn't see one in my relationship with my father.

However, what developed from that night was the Lord's opening my eyes to how He loves me and how my dad loves me even more than I already knew. I am thankful for an earthly father who loves me so much. At Thanksgiving, Jeremy and I pulled away from Jordy's house after M's birthday party. I couldn't stop crying. And I'm starting to cry now just thinking about it. My dad selflessly began putting all of M's presents together even while the party was going on and everyone was just enamored with her. He went to work carefully putting each gift together so she could begin her play time. My memory suddenly flooded with moments from my wedding day when my dad was just up and down the road (we call that "busy") making sure everything was in the right place before the festivities began. I wanted a certain chair of my grandmama's (his mom) to have for a picture. With his full suit on, he goes and gets it... moves it.. puts in back in storage. This is just one picture of the endless things he did to make sure his daughter's day was special. There was also the bridal portrait day when it rained and poured but my hair and makeup were done, and the sun finally came out. Instead of canceling the shoot, my dad arranged sheets and plastic covering a 1000 times over so that I could stand on them and get the shot! There have been countless other times where he has gone out of his way to do things for me- including my very favorite chocolate covered pecans when I didn't have a Valentine in sight.

You see, this poor girl from my small group was wrong. My daddy has always and is continuing to show me my ultimate Father's love for me with the way he loves me. My daddy is selfless. My Father is giving us His Son. My daddy has provided for me here. My Father has provided for me my greatest need of salvation and my smallest needs of a husband who doesn't drink and played baseball. My daddy is there to talk every single time I call even if it's to ask about Maggie. My Father hears my prayers and directs me in His Word. 

Our God has called me His daughter. It's a picture I don't think I can even come to complete terms with, and that's okay. It's okay because I have an earthly father who shows me a dim picture of this great love my heavenly Father has for me. And for that, I am thankful. 

Yes, how deep the Father's love for us that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:1 
(In God's grace, we heard more about this very verse on Wednesday in chapel Bible study.)

Love you daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment