Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Running: Learning a Thing or Two More

There is a bridge on I-440 I drive under every day to and from work. There's almost a tinge of jealousy when I see folks in the early hours of the morning running across this particular bridge in Raleigh. That jealousy formed into a goal to run across this beautiful bridge before I leave Raleigh. I don't know why I have had such a crush on this bridge, but I have. And so, in carpe Raleigh fashion, Ashley and I decided to run the path at the NC Museum of Art with the goal of running across my bridge crush.

I've never shied away from the fact that I have a love/hate relationship with running. Yesterday was no different. I had to walk some because my little legs haven't seen 4 miles outside in a while. However when it came time to run the bridge, I went full force (for the most part). Mission accomplished. Running back to the museum, there was a hill. Hills and me are not friends when it comes to running. Ashley kept encouraging me to keep going. The end result was another since of accomplishment but in a different form.

Here's the deal. Running takes work. There may be some people who can just walk out their door and run miles around me without breaking a sweat. I'd beg to differ. Running requires practice, diligence and patience on the run. It's hard. There are a lot of times when I get done and think to myself: "That was tough, but I'm so glad I did it." Yesterday wasn't much different. After trying to scout out a water fountain, I realized how tough the hill was to run but was pleased with the end result of accomplishment.

In that moment I realized just how much our walk with the Lord is similar. The journey is tough - and joyful and difficult all wrapped into one. The end is always better than what we assume it to be. During the journey, we don't understand what God is doing, but the small glimpses are worth it! Just like the end of a long run, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment