Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sabbath

Sundays have always been busy. In school days, church was followed by hours of homework catch-up and reading. Lots of reading. It never seemed like a restful Sunday. It was more like I was cattle being herded from one place to the next. Now, I pack my Sundays with going here and there trying to meet up with different people that I don't get to see during the week. The busyness of Sunday doesn't provide much rest at all.

I don't think that's how our God intended it to be.

"He rested on the seventh day from all his work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made." Genesis 2: 2-3

My church currently offers a Sunday night service. This weekend I decided that Sunday morning would look different for me. I would rest this morning. Eat a nice breakfast. Enjoy time reading my Bible. Rest.

My heart delights in time with the Lord. It delights when things slow down. It delights in a peaceful morning filled with iced coffee, bacon, and chocolate. It delights in looking at the Word. It craves a sabbath. It craves the Sabbath.

As I was journaling this morning, I realized this: we were made to crave the Sabbath that was created for us.

We were created for this Sabbath - Rest in Him. Rest in the enjoyment of the day. Our hearts long for that rest on all fronts. Rest from the work week. Rest from stress. Rest from busyness. Rest from pain. Rest from striving. And in that longing, we see and desire in a greater sense the One who can give us that rest. The nagging dissatisfaction of unrest is only satisfied in the form of true rest, true Sabbath.

Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden; I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his works, just as God did from His." Hebrews 4

He is our Sabbath. Praise Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment