Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Like A Tree

"Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness." Psalm 37:3

"That they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified." Isaiah 61:3


Our faith is like a tree.
It was explained to me recently that our faith grows much like a tree. If you remember anything from elementary school, you know that you can cut a tree and count the rings to determine its age. Over time the tree gets larger. Similarly, at the core of our faith is what most of us will fortunately learn from our parents. I was able to learn much about God from my parents and from Sunday School teachers every Sunday morning. And like the tree, we grow. Our experiences, trials, locations, interactions grow us and shape us to develop our faith and sanctify us. I believe it.

For once, I don't completely have all of the words that I'd like to write. I snapped this picture a few weeks ago because it reminded me of the analogy I heard. I feel like that baby tree growing- growing into an oak. I truly believe our faith is and should be challenged on a daily basis. If it's not being challenged, then what do we have to begin with - are we complacent, fully believing? Those are hard questions. But they are good. 

This once lost little girl falls off the path frequently. Yet, Jesus is already there. He's already pleading my case. He's my advocate. He pulls me back, and there is much grace. I am overwhelmed regularly at how big God is. Like CAN NOT grasp it, but I don't think I'm supposed to be able to. And that's okay, now. My anxious heart wanted to trust more and grow more and love more and serve more. I wanted it, but God is graciously showing me that it's not about me. There is no need for anxiousness. He is good all by Himself. 

And so, cultivate faithfulness. Psalm 37 is familiar because we all know about delighting ourselves in the Lord to get those desires. There's a prerequisite. It's the cultivating of faithfulness. I love to have a strong definition for a word. Cultivate means to develop. This verse can be translated to: develop a steadfast commitment to God. Commit to Him. Be faithful just as He is faithful. There is no true, right relationship when one is unfaithful. May I not be unfaithful to Him! Develop and allow the faith to grow right where we are planted - this season; this moment; this trial; this joy. Then- You shall be called oaks of righteousness because in that day, you are for His glory and not your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment