Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Word of the Day or Year

Happy Wednesday fine folks! My friend Brittany hates Tuesdays, so every Wednesday I literally think to myself "I bet Brittany is excited about today!" Moving right along.

I realize the blog hasn't had many words lately, and I want to change that simply because I enjoy writing and sharing my thoughts. I feel like everyone has a word they are hanging on to for the new year, and I'm late to the party. Read: Yes it is 7 days in, but it's taken me a while to think through. 7 days exactly. But I have a word. I didn't even know this was a thing until I saw every other blog posting about a word. Yet I wanted to have one, and so my word shall be:


verb - to develop well; prosper, flourish

This particular word has had such impact and presence in my thoughts over the past several months. I love the Casting Crowns song appropriately called "Thrive". I will sing right along to it when the radio is on. I've thought so often on the truth of these lyrics, take a read:

Just to know You and 
To make You known
We lift your name on High.
.... (clearly there are more words here in the between) ...
It's time for us to more than just survive,
We were made to thrive.

The past year has been characterized by much surviving. I have felt pulled in many directions and overwhelmed and to be honest, quite exhausted. What I realize most is that this is a result of my own doing. The people pleaser and legalist within wanted to make sure I didn't turn down anyone's request. I wanted to do all the Bible studies and read all the books and read every portion of the Bible. I felt guilty when I didn't do a lot of this right. That perfectionist in me just felt like she was surviving and striving. Am I preaching to that choir? I know there is more to this life than simply trying to survive and strive. I found myself working for salvation in a lot of areas of my life. I have felt like I was trying to forgive myself, which scarily means I'd look to myself as god. Thankfully our God is loving and forgiving.

He didn't mean for us to "survive" from one function to the other. He didn't mean for us to "strive" for His attention, love, salvation. He freely gives. And because He freely gives, He desires that we enjoy the grace in which we now stand. - Appropriately timed that we are meant to THRIVE! See how all of that came full circle?!

What does that look like for Erin? 
Well for starters.. and this will be a working list.. 
- Saying no more. Oh the people-pleaser is going to take a beat down, for sure!
- Resting more. What does that look like anyway? - physically, spiritually
- Saying yes more. Contradictory to numero uno, but it makes sense to me.
- Running more. Because it's what I love.
- Writing more. Because I love that too!
-  Blog posts about thriving to encourage and reflect
- Travel continued.
- Seeing my boyfriend, family, and bestie before she gets married as much as possible.
... to be continued ...

Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  Romans 5:2

No comments:

Post a Comment