Tuesday, September 30, 2014

An Unlikely Combination

A new series is here, and it certainly didn't take long! I read another friend's blog post about a particular episode and how it related to the Christian life, and it got the wheels a'turnin!

I own all ten seasons, even the special edition Scene It game. I regularly apply situations that happened to Ross, Monica, or Phoebe to my own life. I can quote a few (or more) lines here and there. So without further ado, this is the series:



One of my all- time favorite episodes is "The One with all the Resolutions." I insist on watching it every New Year's Eve. It's the infamous episode where Ross can't get his leather pants pulled back up because "it's just not working man!" It's the episode where Chandler and Monica get to kiss when the clock strikes midnight, because it would just be too weird and inappropriate for Ross to kiss Rachel or his sister. Chandler must stop making fun of others, and Phoebe teaches the "old lady." It's also the episode where Rachel makes it her New Year's resolution to stop gossiping. All of the friends are very well aware of the fact that Rachel loves to gossip and share "news", so they find it incredibly hard to believe this resolution will last past 30 seconds of the ball dropping. Yet, she insists and declares her resolution!

We all know the destructive nature of gossip. We know that it can tear people down. We know it can be based upon false information. We know it can hurt others in a great way. As I was thinking about this particular episode, I was reminded of the power of the tongue. We use our mouths to speak into others' lives, but our tongue can easily tear another person down.  In James 3 it says, "With it [the tongue] we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing" (3:9-10). A myriad of instances fall under the category of the destructive nature of the tongue- gossip, criticism, anger, etc.

I have recently realized that I can easily lack grace and wisdom in the midst of a heated or passionate discussion. I can be quick to assume I am justified in what I am saying and just spew words out that are hurtful and damaging to another. Though these discussions can be quite difficult in the moment, I am thankful for the Lord's grace in revealing that sin to me. He has shown me just how our tongue is to be used. It's kind of weird to think about - especially the tongue of all things! But seriously, how much nicer would a difficult situation be if our words were seasoned with grace. We are to mirror Christ and walk in a manner worthy of the gospel. Christ didn't come to rebuke, or condemn, or speak harshly to those who believed. (Yes, there were the money changers and Peter that one time, but work with me here!) Christ spoke gently; He revealed sin gently. He didn't yell harmful words.He didn't gossip. He didn't criticize. Because we/I have chosen to follow Him, we must choose to follow Him in all ways - using our words/mouth/tongue towards good.  Because we have been given much grace, we should show much grace.

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.  Colossians 4:6

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

The resolution didn't last long. Rachel quickly found the gossip ticket of the day - Chandler and Monica. But let's resolve something different. Let's resolve to use our mouths wisely - to speak grace to one another and to speak truth.

And that my friends.. is a little bit of F.R.I.E.N.D.S and theology.

No comments:

Post a Comment