Friday, December 6, 2013

On Advent or something like that

Advent - the waiting and anticipation of the arrival of Jesus Christ

I was recently asked what my passion was/what was I passionate about- what was it that I wanted to do that would bring the greatest joy in knowing that I would be used by God?  I didn't want to answer the question the way that I truly felt.  On some level, I was afraid to address the passion that has been so consistent within.  You see, that passion that I have .. more than anything else.. is to be a wife and mother. I want to be a wife who serves and loves her husband well.  I want to partner with him in ministry and work alongside one another.  I want to be a mother and care for the children the Lord blesses me with, whether that be my own children or the children that will be my own through adoption.  I want to teach them in the ways of the Lord.  I want to play dress up and watch little league games.  This role is God-given.  It is God-ordained.  This is what I'm passionate about.  This is the one thing I want to be doing for the rest of my life.
But yet that is difficult sometimes.  It's difficult mainly because I'm single.

The Lord has not given such a gift at this time in my life.  It is by no mistake that I am currently studying the book of Ruth in three different areas of my life - my own time with the Lord, my church, and on assignment with writing.  It all seems fitting to study Ruth at a time when much of my life is characterized by waiting.  Ruth did not know what her purpose would be in returning to Bethlehem with Naomi.  But she went forward, wearing her mourning clothes - without a husband or the promise of any children.  Naomi returned to her homeland without any of the family she originally left with.  They were returning to unknown circumstances and what their lives might look like.  The wept forward.  Naomi, though some call her bitter and off the wagon, showed great faith and clung to the Lord during a difficult time.  She worked out her faith in what I would like to refer to as "fear and trembling." She was being real before God.  No sugar coating.  Ruth came to faith in the Lord and began to trust in the God she had never known before.  Yet both were waiting.  I am certain that neither were even thinking about Boaz on the walk home, but they knew they were waiting for the Lord to make His plan apparent.  Boaz would be the kinsman-redeemer to restore the family.  A plan that I am certain Ruth never knew of immediately unfolded before her.  She was brought into the lineage of Jesus!  Her waiting and continued diligence in pursuing God is awe-inspiring.

We are waiting.  I am waiting.  We are waiting for the return of our King, when our tears will be no more.  O Glorious day! We are waiting to be taken into the light, to be free of this world, to finally be restored.  I am waiting for the Lord's plan.  Some days I do not think I fair too well.  I'm weak.  I doubt.  I see the immediate circumstances and want the whole picture.  My prayer is that I wait in diligent submisson.  And that I would work out my faith in God with fear and trembling, trusting in his goodness, just as Naomi did.

I am thankful for the reminder this morning of the Advent season and the waiting and anticipation that comes with this time of year.  Our God knows us.  He knows every thought and struggle and battle and joy that we have.  He knows us.  He knows we are waiting for him and Christ's return.  May I rest in the faithfulness of the Lord and anticipate his good and perfect plans for me.  May I rest in the coming of our Lord Jesus.. where we will be restored. There will be no more tears.  We will be made complete! The harvest season will begin!

"So Naomi returned from Moab accompanied by Ruth the Moabite, her daughter-in-law, arriving in Bethlehem as the barley harvest was beginning." Ruth 1:22

No comments:

Post a Comment