Monday, October 21, 2013

To Know a Name

On one of my first days of school in college (can't remember the semester), the professor, Dr. Wattles, called out "Gandy."  He was taking the roll to which I naturally raised my hand signifying my presence and readiness for the semester.  Dr. Wattles proceeded to say, "Gandy. Now that's a strong Southern name."  He had also clenched his fist and gave his arm a steady shake to represent the strongness of the name.  I left that day pretty proud of the recognition of my name.  It is Southern.  And I am Southern.  And I was thankful it was recognized in such a way.  Dr. Wattles was sure of my Southern residence when he made this comment.  He was sure of my name and somewhat of my heritage in being a part of the South (at least since this beauty of a nation was founded.)

I was reading in Psalms on Saturday morning and thought of this very story.    The verse in Psalm 9 read like this:

The LORD reigns forever;
He has established His throne for judgment.
He rules the world in righteousness and judges the peoples with equity.
The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
Those who know your name trust in you,
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
Psalm 9: 7-10

Those who KNOW your name.  I could not take my eyes off this verse.  There are many times, especially in the South, when you mention a person's last name and something like this follows, "Those are good people."  Or, "You need to stay away from that crowd."  The last name is recognizable and represents the character of a people, often (though this is sometimes unfortunate).  This verse had me thinking about what it meant to absolutely know the name of the Lord.  -- To know what the name stood for and represented.

The name of the Lord is peace.
The name of the Lord is forgiveness.
The name of the Lord is grace.
The name of the Lord is faithfulness.
The name of the Lord is salvation.
The name of the Lord is comfort.
The name of the Lord is holy.
The name of the Lord is compassion.
The name of the Lord is steadfast and strong.
The name of the Lord is love.
The name of the Lord is deliverance.
The name of the Lord is eternal.
The name of the Lord is perfect.

... and because I know this about His name.  I know that I can trust in His name.  He has never forsaken those who seek Him.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  Isaiah 9:6


No comments:

Post a Comment