Friday, September 6, 2013

Praying to be a Godly Woman

I wrote a post a couple of months ago about how to pray for your future husband.  You can read it here.

I wanted to write something a little different today.  I think it is important to pray for your future spouse.  I certainly do.  But I think we may easily get caught up in praying for a future spouse that we can easily forget about praying for ourselves and the woman/women we are to be.  It sounds just a tad selfish like "Hey guys, let's make this about me today!"  That's not what I mean, of course.  I mean that if we are concerned about and care for the qualities of a future spouse to the point that we would pray for him before ever meeting him, then we should equally, if not in a greater sense, be concerned with praying and seeking God's wisdom as to the woman He would have us to become.

Praying to be a godly woman allows you to be used by Him for His glory because you are moved out of the way and are ready for Him to lead.  Praying to be a godly woman moves you to a place of reliance on the Lord rather than working and manipulating all things to your desires.  Praying to be a godly woman open yours eyes to the very workings of God in your life at this moment.

These are my prayers:

- I pray that God would continuously remove my selfish heart that desires to put myself above others.
- I pray that I would look to the interests of others and how I can most effectively serve them.
- I pray that I would be a light for Jesus throughout my day, drawing others to Himself.
- I pray that His Word would be such a delight and peace and comfort.
- I pray that I would speak kindly of others, and He would remove my judging thoughts.
- I pray that I would give generously to others.
- I pray that I would be made willing.  Willing, to go and do whatever it is that He asks of me.
- I pray that I would speak Truth to those around me - Truth centered on the Scriptures.
- I pray that He would guard my thoughts - Thoughts that are impure, unlovely, ungodly, selfish.
- I pray that I would continue to grow in loving and serving my family well.
- I pray that I would love as I have been loved.
- I pray that I would rely on the Lord as my strength rather than trying to figure things out on my own.
- I pray that I would accept His grace and give grace more freely.
- I pray that I would be a trustworthy person whom my friends, family, and church can rely on.
- I pray that He would continue to grow within me a love for the nations and the desire to go to the nations.
- I pray that I would put aside my own plans and release control to the One who has told me time again that He knows the plans He has for me.
- I pray that I would be teachable. Always.

Clearly this is not exhaustive list and could quite possibly go on for days. But it is these foundational prayers that will strengthen a woman as she grows in becoming the woman God has her to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment