Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Gift of Hospitality

I feel like I should have done this post sooner, but the snake situation took over! So now that my heart rate has mellowed out a bit, I will write about my weekend.

Saturday, Mrs. Bush was the main speaker for Bay Leaf's regular Heart to Heart. Although I have lived with Mrs. Bush and helped her with many parties/dinners/lunches/showers, I have never heard her speak on the biblical aspect of hospitality. Can I just say that I LOVED every minute of it? There have been many days where I have just sat and prayed for the Lord to show me how I can serve Him better. What is my gift? my area? my niche? my knack? Well, after hearing Mrs. Bush speak, the Lord has just confirmed that I have the gift of hospitality. Not that this is meant to be my on special trophy that I hold up and say, "Here it is!". But more so to rest in the Lord and know that He has blessed me with this to use for His glory.

Like Mrs. Bush said, "I just thought I liked to have parties!" And yes, that's what I have thought often too. But God has given me such a love for inviting people into my home and sharing a meal with them and making them feel special that I know He wants to use that.  Some people are most gifted at going to a street corner and preaching the gospel; others can keep a kids interest for hours. But for me, sharing the gospel means sharing Christ in my home. Loving people well through caring specifically for them, and showing Christ to them in that way. I enjoy opening up my apartment and having people over.. LOVE IT! But I also realize that I have to move that beyond just people I know -- to include unbelievers. Much of what I learned in Prague! Believe me, I want to just strike up a conversation and share with someone! My prayer is that the Lord will show me where He is working and allow me to join; I hope that I will be obedient to share in those times.

Just to share a minute, Mrs. Bush pointed to these examples of hospitality in the Bible: Abraham inviting God in [3 strangers] for a meal when He came to tell Sarah of her pregnancy, the Shunnamite woman who builds a room for Elisha, and Mary and Martha having Jesus over for dinner. There were many more, but these stuck out :)

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels." Hebrews 13:2

This is my life!

OH! And as promised Birthday facts:
- For the past 6 years, I have celebrated my birthday NASCAR style - The race is always in town the weekend of my birthday! :) Coincidence? I think not.
- I was able to get my ears pierced for my 10th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment