Friday, August 19, 2011

It's A Stretch

It's going to be a stretch, but I'm going to pull some theological truth from Runaway Bride. Well I didn't do it, but...

Chad Hood roughly attempted to make a connection to the place that I am at in life. He connected it to none other than the movie, Runaway Bride.  In the movie, Julia Roberts had a tough time figuring out exactly how she liked her eggs. She liked them the way her previous men in her life liked them, but she couldn't very well figure out how it was that SHE liked her eggs, without the influence of anyone else. Her identity was nestled deeply in the identity of everyone she was engaged to or dated.

How does that connect to you or me? What do you place your identity in?

If someone were to ask me about myself, I would probably say something along the lines of... My name is Erin. I like to shop at Target. I like Nascar. I am the daughter of Les and Teresa. I am from South Carolina. I am a Christian. I may talk about what jobs I have or what jobs I would like to have. I might talk about the fact that I am a runner. Or, I may even talk about my friends and spending lots of time with them. The thing is none of these are where my identity should be found, except the fact that I am a Christian. Basing my identity on any of these other things causes me to base my identity on things that can change.. my friends may disappoint me; Nascar could have a fuel crisis; or Target could file bankruptcy [The horror!]. I must continually remind myself of my true identity- a daughter of the Living God, who sent His Son to pay my ransom as a sinner, who paid the penalty that I might have eternal life and spend it forever with Him. As a daughter of God, I am a co-heir with Christ. God's plans are to give me all things that work toward His good purposes- Romans 8:32. The good things He has for us are for our good.

Sooo.. with that said. Our identity is to be in the One who will not disappoint us, who is faithful, who will not leave us, who loves, and desires to call us His own. It is not to be in the job or title we have, the boy who could possibly break our heart, the dress that will make everyone's head turn, or the friend who may or not be the coolest in the world.  Figure out who you are.. Maybe, how you like your eggs. But embrace and surrender to who You are in Christ as a daughter of our wonderful God.

"And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daugthers to Me," says the Lord Almighty. 2 Corinthians 6:18

No comments:

Post a Comment