Monday, October 26, 2015

Uptown Funk

But not the song.

This weekend was the quintessential fall weekend in the Point. The leaves are changing to some reds and oranges. I'm left deciding which I think are the most beautiful, and then there's a hierarchy of leaf colors in my head - meaning I've taken it too far. The weather is cooler. The air crisp. Boots were worn. And then we had that Pinterest sign that we all post.

Except one thing happened, the funk crept in.

Jeremy and I were talking Saturday about discontentment and comparison. I have that tendency to get on IG first thing and see what everyone else has done. I get a little bitter. I feel like I'm missing out on something. What that something is, I don't know. But you know the feeling I'm talking about. Here I was putting on my boots about to go eat some fried goodness with my husband at a fall festival. We'd already gone for a run. We had plans of a festival, furniture shopping and a double date but the feeling continued.

Why in the world was I in such a funk? I kept wrestling with the thought for at least the next several hours. This, of course, resulted in some snippy remarks to the sweetest husband and that only made it worse for me. How could I talk to him like this? You see how the mind spirals when we start comparing. That quote "Comparison is the thief of joy" is spot on. It led from one thing to the next. And the next, wasn't the prize pumpkin at the fair if you know what I mean.

There was apologizing on my part. I had allowed a funk of a mood (started by comparison) ruin some fun parts of my day - not my entire day, just parts. Thankfully, the whole day wasn't squashed. It was redeemed into quite the enjoyable weekend.

Last night when I was about to close my eyes, I began thanking God for the aspects of the weekend where He was so gracious to me. I thanked Him for the opportunity to get a few things accomplished on our "To-Do" list. I thanked Him for allowing us to find furniture we both liked. I thanked Him for the double date and meeting new people here. I thanked Him for helping us find a church in the area that we both are excited about. I thanked Him for allowing me to meet another neighbor in our hood. I thanked Him for a husband who is patient, even when the funk settles in. I thanked Him for an opportunity to take pictures of the beautiful leaves and talk to sweet friends I have missed. I thanked Him for time to watch One Tree Hill and read in my book.

All of these are ways He was so gracious to me. Despite our anger and sin and ugliness, our God still loves us. It's a mystery to me, but a great one. I'm thankful He continues to love and pursue. I'm thankful for a husband who continues to love and pursue. I'm thankful for a funk that leads me to praise.



No comments:

Post a Comment