Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Snippet for those 9 to 5ers

I've been frantically reading Jerry Bridges' The Practice of Godliness for the Book Club. I say frantic because I haven't been able to put it down. For real. PSA: The section on contentment.. It's a winner.

I thought I would just share this brief snippet (way down there!) with you from the book. I know what it is like to be in the secular world working a job. This is actually my first job in the Christian field. Lots of hours have been spent at a credit union, bank, or as a waitress. Those hours were frustrating. I wanted to be using my seminary degree. Many, many reality checks happened along the way. I always dreamed of the job at Lifeway or doing women's ministry somewhere etc. However, the Lord had me in those exact places for a very specific purpose. Of course, I see that now. I was too frustrated to see it then. I was ready to get out of my normal "jobs." But those normal jobs meant something to me. I enjoyed the people. I grew a lot spiritually. I formed relationships with some great people. And I must say, it is absolutely thrilling when I see my Over the Falls Deli coworkers, on the rare chance that I'm able to come across someone. It thrills my little heart!

With all of that being said the frustration comes easy either way - secular job or not. Why is that? The quickest answer I've got (and the most efficient I might add) is that we are all sinners and have fallen short.

Back to Bridges. I read this today and wanted to share it here. I hope it is an encouragement to you as much as it was to me:

The Puritans declared the sanctity of all honorable work. In so doing, they rejected a centuries-old division of callings into 'sacred' and 'secular'.... This Puritan rejection of the dichotomy between sacred and secular work has far-reaching implications. It judges every honorable job to be of intrinsic value, and integrates every vocation with a Christian's spiritual life. It makes every job consequential by regarding it as the arena for glorifying and obeying God and for expressing love (through service) to a neighbor.
** as quoted in Practice of Godliness from an article by Leland Ryken

We are in the exact job that we are supposed to be in. If we trust in God's sovereignty, then we must assuredly stand on the promise that He loves us and knows what is best for us. Also, He knows exactly what desk we are sitting in. It doesn't escape His notice.

Bridges reminds to look to Him to give grace for the moment- the dull moment, the frustrating moment, the exciting moment. Look for someone to serve. Look for someone to live life with. Look for someone to share a funny story with.

It's contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment