Monday, July 21, 2014

Wisdom and the Book About It

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." Proverbs 1:7

I would like to think that I can totally open the book of Proverbs and just find so much goodness there that I would never want to move on to the likes of Deuteronomy, Philippians, or Numbers. But that's just not happening. Last night I had a ton plus 1 questions for the fella about Proverbs 8 and the connection of wisdom and Christ. So what did I do this morning, started at the beginning- Proverbs 1, because 1 seems like a nice number for a beginning. I have literally been all over the place in my reading, but Proverbs 1 seemed a best fit for the AM.

Wisdom seems like such a BIG concept to me. I want to grasp it in my tiny fists and understand it with everything I've got. Logically that's why today was a good start. I realize I won't ever come to a point of knowing everything in life. By God's grace He is shielding me from those things. I need to sit back and marvel at His mysteries. But James exhorts us to seek wisdom and ask God for it. Well then, I need to know what I'm asking.

Proverbs 1:7 is the motto for this book. I think it's definitely one of those verses that is common knowledge. (Which just made me realize I made a "game" in high school called Common Knowledge for some sort of ridiculous project.) Back to the point. What is the fear of the Lord? Fear or the Lord is an awe of Him - who He is, what He has done. In respecting the Lord for His righteousness and holiness, we will be in awe of Him, respecting Him, holding Him with the highest regard. This is the starting point of wisdom and knowledge. We don't go to someone we don't respect and ask for advice. We fear God; therefore, we seek Him for wisdom. It is a submission of ourselves to His authority. Not submitting ourselves to Him - He has no authority in our lives, so why would His counsel even matter. Knowledge is the understanding of who we are and what the world is in response to our GREAT Creator (This was totally from my ESV Study Bible.) Doesn't it make sense? So we have to know who we are in regards to our Creator before we can gain wisdom. Wisdom is taking the knowledge of who we are and seeking to live rightly according to the will of God. It is aligning ourselves with His Word - seeking discretion and being prudent. Wisdom is guidance in how to live in such a way to please our God (not because we must earn anything, but because we should offer our lives in thanksgiving to the salvation given to us.)

The fear of the Lord + a knowledge of who we are in light of Our Creator = Wisdom

I certainly realize this is not the most accurate equation, but this is how it turned out in my head. I'm not even sure anything I said has made sense. I am sure that He is infinitely wise and desires to grant us wisdom, if we submit to His authority and seek Him for that wisdom.

What a great and beautiful promise: "but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster." Proverbs 1:33 

No comments:

Post a Comment