Friday, June 6, 2014

Biscuits and Genesis

It's an unlikely combination...

Happy Friday folks! I'm heading West.. to see the fella.

In true Gandy tradition, I wheeled into the McDonalds this morning, rather quickly, and got a sausage and cheese biscuit for breakfast. It's been far too long and I thought "The tradition needs to be upheld!" If we are going to be real, it's only been a couple of months, but I was a hungry girl/bear/monster at 7:55. All the while listening to MotownPhilly - I have seriously jammed and dance partied it on the way to work this week .. Bless those who have witnessed such on I-440. Back to the Gandy tradition, my sweet daddy took me and my brother to school every Friday from 1st grade to 8th grade -- There wasn't a Friday school morning that we didn't go to McDonalds. We may have been a little late here and there, but we always took a biscuit for the teacher! We knew what we were doing folks!... More little stories about my Daddy coming next week. Get those Father's Day presents!

Change channel.

Earlier this week I decided to start reading the Bible through again - Genesis to Revelation- with some note-taking. It's been good, and I'm only on chapter 7.  I am in awe of how each time you read Scripture there is something new to learn.

God's desire is for relationship with us. He created everything for the purpose of His glory. Man and woman were created in His image to reflect His glory. I was reminded in Gen. 2 that God's original intention was to dwell in peace with us. However, God's warning of not eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil revealed that disobedience would lead to death - "You will surely die." This did not mean a physical death but spiritual death. Spiritual death is separation from God - a broken relationship with God. Eve's failure to follow God's commands was out of a desire to obtain wisdom apart from God. She was already living in perfect communion with God. Yet the enemy had tempted her to believe, she did not fully have everything - God was in some way holding back on her. Isn't it crazy how the enemy will twist information and thoughts for us to believe that God is holding back on us?  I want to make mention of 2 very important, beautiful parts of Genesis 3. I am thankful the Lord is continuously revealing things about Himself to me through His Word.

First thing's first in verse 20 - God provided coverings of animal skins, so that Adam and Eve would no longer be ashamed. In their disobedience the two became aware of their nakedness. There was shame and guilt. Yet God sacrificed the life of an animal to cover their shame. Does that not take your breath away? -- The covering He provides for us is the shed blood of Christ. He sacrificed His own Son, Jesus Christ to cover our sins. We are covered by His blood and given a robe of righteousness.. He is covering us!

And Second thing's well.. second, in verse 22 God speaks and says, "Behold the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever- therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden to work the ground from which he was taken. He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life."  Grab on to this - JESUS is the Tree of Life. The only way to enter back into the garden is take ahold of the tree of life and eat. The only way to true relationship with God is through Jesus Christ. John 14:6 says it plainly, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." In the very beginning of Genesis, God was painting a picture for us all. The way back to Him is through Christ. Cast out because of sin. Enter in with no sin. The only way we enter in with no sin is through Jesus. And I'm left speechless. Or not, because I am so overwhelmed at how God uses His Word to continuously point us to Christ. Thankful for the cross and His covering that brings us into a right relationship with our Heavenly Father.

I could say more.. but I think I've written alot. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment