Tuesday, May 20, 2014

James: Week 3

I've been dragging about what to write next from James. But I've got it! And I hope you enjoy, and I hope you cling to the One who is good, faithful and constant. - That's my chant these days.  This is going to be a little all over the place, so buckle up.


Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, 
coming down from the Father of lights, with whom 
there is no variation or shifting shadow.  James 1:17

You're going to think I'm crazy, but I love to see a Christmas tree with lots of presents underneath. I like the matching wrapping paper and bows - the curled ribbon and little favors on top. I absolutely hate it when one by one presents are taken from under the tree and dispersed. The picture perfect image is gone, as soon as the first present leaves its home under the tree. I like to sit there and take it all in - the wrapped presents. There's a point, and I'll try to get there.

I'm much like the Israelites when it comes to a gift or wrapped present. I like the thought of the gift and the beauty of the gift, but I often have difficulty in embracing the gift. Yesterday I was reading in Deuteronomy 1 where Moses is recounting to the Israelites their arrival Kadesh-barnea. The Israelites had arrived at the land God had promised them. He had paved the way and brought them out of Egypt for the Promised Land. He would be with them and fight for them as they fought the Amorites. Yet, there was a problem. The Israelites did not want to embrace the gift God had given them. They were scared. They asked if they could send spies into the new land. In other words, they wanted someone to scope out the gift first before they took it. Let's be clear: GOD HAD GIVEN THEM THE GIFT. HANDED IT TO THEM. And they still wanted to check it all out. They wanted to wrap their minds around it. They were looking at the gift square in the face and didn't want to open it. Because of their disobedience and lack of trust in God, He withdrew the gift for a time and waited.

How many times has the Lord given me a gift, and I doubt the gift? I will question it in every way. I will allow previous circumstances or situations direct whether I accept the gift or not... or even better, the implications of the gift. The gift can really be anything- Anything! And I'll most certainly question it- kinda like a criminal on a polygraph. But today it hit me. And by hit me.. I mean, the Lord reminded me of something sweet from James 1:17. Every good and perfect gift comes from Him!! If I believe God's Word is true, then I also believe Romans 8 that nothing separates me from the love of God. Everything to me is filtered through His love for me... Everything to me.. is thus a gift from His love - It should be noted that gifts can be both good and bad. Bad, as in, meant for our good and the building of our faith. Anyways, back to the point. The point is HE (OUR GOD) is the giver. He is good and faithful and constant. He is not as a shifting shadow. He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He knows what is best for us. .. So, when the gift is handed to us, we need to take it. I need to take it, and I need to run! It's going to be a good one because it is from Him. And for that, I can be grateful.  He desires to give me good things. He desired to give the Israelites good things. Yet, I want to be like Caleb.. I want to march in and take ahold of what the Lord has rightfully given to me.

And so when Heather asked me yesterday, "Is the gift worth taking a risk for?" I responded with "It's worth the risk." And it is.. because of James 1:17.

PS- I'm not certain why I chose to continuously use All Caps.. but I'm not yellin' just a'preachin'

No comments:

Post a Comment