Sunday, April 3, 2016

Welcome to Woodstock

There are a few things you should know about me:
I'm a unapologetically a History nerd.
I love the 60's.
I have a penchant for all things Woodstock though I would probably not have come within 100 miles of the actual festival.

Making my way to the state of New York due to marital bliss, I began exploring the historical things both near and far. I came upon this gem: Bethel Woods aka Home of Woodstock 1969. I knew in the very core of who I am as History major that I just HAD to go. And seeing as how "Opening Day" was this weekend, I had HAD to be the person who shows up on the first day of its season opening. Off we went to Bethel Woods!

As we got closer the museum, I felt like we had stepped back in time. Most notable would be the Kosmic Kafe we passed on the way in. Hello 1969. The road leading into the Bethel Woods area was so small that I kept telling Jeremy - "This has to be the road people walked into Woodstock." I took the picture in the museum to prove it!



Inside the bus! It resembled a typical commune-type bus that would have traveled to Woodstock jam packed with the hippie-ish kind.


Fashion of the 60's moved from Jackie O. to mod to hippie. Please note Twiggy in the background aka an America's Next Top Model judge.


The museum was filled with a'many o' fun facts including about a little lady who made quite a few sandwiches each day and drove to Woodstock to pass them out to those who were hungry. There were only 2 fatalities during the weekend. And there were "Freak out tents" for those who tried LSD for the first time and well... freaked out.

The highlight of the trip was seeing the actual field and monument. Here is my best attempt at channeling my inner Hippie.


Even Jeremy was excited about seeing the field! It was worth the entire trip. See the peace sign in the grass? We had a great time exploring the area and the museum. I was all over it and nearly skipped back to the truck with excitement! I am thankful he entertains my historical nerdy whims!


No comments:

Post a Comment