Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I Want to be

I don't really like Bible trash - the old bulletins and slips of paper that find their way into the Bible and never depart. Well, for me they do depart. I throw them away. I don't like the struggle of things falling out and gliding onto the floor. If I need to write a note about something, it goes right into the margin. But there is an exception. Side note: Exceptions remind me of He's Just Not That Into You, which then reminds me how much I dislike that movie. BUT. I have an exception for something that is in my Bible right now. A month of so ago while I was in Denver, I wrote the following on a small piece of paper: I want to be a woman controlled by the Word of God and not my emotions.

Am I a woman? Yes. Am I emotional? Yes. Do I need that to root itself as what drives my life - good emotions or bad? No.  That's why that small phrase has become such an important reminder to me. According to Webster, those emotions are a combination of our mental states, our biological reactions, and our psychophysiological reactions. I think as women, correction I KNOW as women, we are driven by our emotions. I could very well be the president of the club. When something's on my mind, you'll know it. When I'm sad, I'll be crying. When I'm excited, I'll tell you or have a faint glint in the eye. When someone says "Do you want Fuddruckers for dinner?" Well, it's all over my face. Don't get me wrong. I think emotions are a beautiful thing, really! That's how God has created us. But my point is this: our emotions are a force to be reckoned with on all fronts. Unfortunately there are times when those emotions get out.of.control. We assume. We doubt. We fear. We respond to a situation negatively. We say the wrong thing. We are abrasive. And it's because we have allowed ourselves to be ruled by the emotions of the moment rather than being ruled by the peace of Christ and the Word of God.

My favorite verse is Proverbs 3:5 and captures this beautifully. The father is instructing his son to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Our own understanding apart from the wisdom of God is based purely on our emotions. It is faulty. When we are ruled by our emotions, we see a situation in a narrow field. I imagine in much like those blinders a horse has to wear. Granted, I don't know much about a horse, but I do know about those. The blinders block out everything else going on. If we think with our emotions, there is little room for reason and Truth. The father goes on to say "In all your ways acknowledge HIM, and He will direct your paths."

Our emotions are not steady. They are not the solid foundation that Christ is. They are not as sure to us as His salvation is. They are not strong or wise as He is. They are not a place of rest like He promises, but they are a place of chaos. Our emotions are fleeting, though He is with us and has never left. They will defeat us, when He has given us victory. They will cause confusion, though He gives clarity and direction and peace.

But..
A woman ruled by the Word of God will rest in Him.  Psalm 37:7
She will boast in Him. Galatians 6:14
She will trust in Him and take great delight in His plans.  Jeremiah 17: 7-8 and 29:11
She will hide His Word in her heart. Psalm 119:11
She will laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25
She abides in the vine. John 15
She will guard her heart. Proverbs 4:23
She will use God's Word to guide her steps. Psalm 119:105
She will seek to have a steadfast mind. Isaiah 26:3-4
She will not be dragged away by empty deception. Colossians 2:8
But She will allow the peace of Christ to rule in her heart. Colossians 3:15

No comments:

Post a Comment